Sunday, January 24, 2010

Stratus Automation

So now that everyone has had long enough to fully take in all that the last blog entry had to offer (long, I know) I wanted to let everyone know the big news! I have a new JOB!!!!!!!



http://stratusauto.com/

Stratus Automation is a premier provider of custom automation and equipment integration services catering to high-technology industries that require cleanliness, sub-micron accuracy and extremely high reliability.

So I am working as a mechanical engineer, research engineer, computer drafter, metal carpenter, custom fabricator, vendor purchasing and what ever else they need me to do. The company consists of about 9 people. Stratus makes automated conveyor systems, two story storage machines, robotics controls and most recently solar cell etching. Ever since I started 3 weeks ago I have been challenged in everything I do. Everything is a step or two above my experience so it is extremely challenging. There is something new everyday. Although it is kind of crazy to do, I am learning A LOT and the reward of completion is worth so much. To get an idea

I get to use all of the equipment on a daily basis that you would see in a machine shop and always wanted to use but never got a chance. This includes a GIANT CNC machine that is programmable. Currently we use it to cut 75lb aluminum turntable disks that are 840mm (~2.8ft) in diameter. They are rotatable disks that hold and spin solar cells through the four stage etching process. These disks have to be uniformly level, with the solar cell holders level to an accuracy of +- 20 microns (a micron is 1/1000 of a millimeter or 0.000001 meters or 0.0000394 inches). It's pretty dang small.

I love my job!

It's true, I do. It's something I feel passionate about and I am learning so much. Plus I have weekly discussions with the owner of the company about Particle Physics and the origins of the universe. Everyone there is extremely intelligent so I have a lot to learn from. I also feel like I am a real man doing real man work ;) I get to use giant power tool, get dirty and even get small cuts on my hands to show off my real man's work. So I will keep you guys and girls updated on my adventures at Stratus. Until next time!

Also, go Farve!

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad to hear that you are liking your new job, sounds like a lot of great experience. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete