Thursday, November 10, 2016

Dexter's 2 months old!

Time is flying by in the Egan household.  Our little guy has already been with us for 2 whole months.  A lot has happened in those few months.  Dex has basically doubled his birth weight, so he has been growing and growing.  Translated, this means he has been eating around the clock  He was eating about every 2-3 hours without fail.  He is growing into a strong, sturdy guy.

He has also been fending off all the illnesses his sister brings home from school each week.  She constantly has some sort of virus.  He had been doing pretty well right up until the end of October.  On Friday October 28th he spiked a fever. He had been fussy the past couple days, but I wasn't sure why until he woke up

that night at 11pm just soaked with sweat.  I took his temp and it was 101.5.  As I was feeding him I started googling what to do.  I was freaking out because it said anything over 100.4 was a medical emergency.  I took him downstairs to ask Ben what we should do. I ended up calling my doc office first to get a call back from the on call nurse, then I called 911.  They told me to strip him down and wipe him with lukewarm washcloths.  They also said I can give him infant tylenol. We did all that and by then the nurse called back.  She said he needed to be seen tonight and which ER would we be going to?  I was so freaked out - having to both call 911 & go to the ER - two things I had never done before.  We went to Swedish First Hill.  I fought back tears the whole way.  Luckily Dex was calm as could be.  We got triaged right away and into a room shortly after.    Little Dex had to get his blood drawn from an IV in his head and cathed to get a urine sample.   He did really well with it all thanks to the "Sweet Ease". 

I was told we would get all the test results in an hour.  Three hours later, we finally heard back.  All testing came back negative.  The doc said we could be admitted to the hospital for further testing, including a spinal tap, or take him home and monitor him.  I chose the latter.  On our way out, they decided to do one last respiratory test even though he had no snot, cough, or congestion. 

They took his temp again and it had gone up to 102.5 while we had been there.  They finally gave him some tylenol to keep his temp at bay, and we did the same for the next couple days.  We didn't leave the ER until 6am the next morning.  I didn't get a wink of sleep.  Brutal.

The respiratory test results came back that Monday, and the only thing that was positive was for Rhino virus which is the common cold.  So after all that, I guess he just had a cold, but it sure was scary!

With all that said, I was actually looking forward to his 2 month vaccines!  He was a champ with the shots, but its always painful to watch.


Here are his 2 month stats:
Height : 23.5" --- 67%
Weight : 12lbs 5 ozs --- 45%
HC : 40 cm --- 69%

No comments:

Post a Comment